Wednesday 6 September 2017

10 things to know about MCI



Often with age comes an increase in the number and frequency of memory slips – ‘was I going up or coming down’ syndrome.

as my memory diminishesThese experiences, in their own way fuel fears that you might have Alzheimer’s or one of the many forms of dementia.

But what is the difference between normal ageing and dementia?  How do you answer that?  What can be considered normal for one person may not be the same as what is considered normal for another.

In the middle of ‘normal’ and dementia is a condition known as Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI).

The following is a simplified list of things to know about MCI – some are based on research with specified information but I have also considered what MCI means for me and my family.

1.    How MCI is diagnosed
For me this was a long drawn out process: my Doctor took a full medical and family history and I undertook a neurological exam, Brain Scan[s], cognitive function evaluation and various blood tests – I almost know what FBC and Glucose means.

2.    What are the symptoms of MCI
My symptoms started of gradual, I would struggle to recall the names of people I’d just met, or remember what I had completed the previous day and I wrote a lot of reminders to myself.  I would lose the flow of conversations and misplace objects such as house keys and piles of clothing I was taking up to the air. But it is important to remember the primary feature that distinguishes MCI from full-blown dementia is how much the person's cognitive issues are affecting their day-to-day lives. The more extreme the impact, the more likely it is that that individual has MCI.

3.      Early diagnosis can help
When the first signs of cognitive issues that affect everyday life begin it is important to go to the Doctor – even if it’s just for your own peace of mind.  It is important because getting a formal diagnosis can help a person with MCI or dementia to gain access to memory care clinics and other important resources. Knowing what the future might hold also enables you and your family to make important plans for the future.

4.      One-in-five adults may have MCI
MCI doesn’t just affect the young studies have shown that from 5-20% of people over 65 struggles with MCI.

5.      There’s more than 1!
Now this was new to me I wasn’t aware that there is more than one type of MCI, there are in fact, two known types of MCI - amnestic and non-amnestic. The majority of individuals (about two-thirds) with MCI have the amnestic variant, the main symptom of which is memory loss. Non-amnestic MCI involves other cognitive concerns such as impaired judgement, and having problems with organization and planning.

6.    Currently there is no treatment
This statement doesn’t exclude the holistic approaches to treating MCI, but currently there is no approved treatments for MCI.  Medications used to treat Alzheimer’s disease are not typically prescribes to people with MCI as there have been no proven interventions from this course of action.  But don’t be down hearted as you can approach your MCI your way and find what works for you.  I try to keep an active brain, I undertake free online courses to improve my knowledge and skill base.  I also write this blog which keeps me in social contact with the outside world.

7.    MCI changes the brain
According to a National MCI Research Paper the brains of people with MCI often undergo certain visible physical changes. MRI scans of cognitively impaired individual's brains have shown a large accumulation of plaques, impaired glucose processing (neurons use glucose as an important source of fuel), larger ventricles and a smaller hippocampus. These changes have also been associated with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia.

8.    Not everyone with MCI will develop dementia
This is one statement I hold on to like a mantra, some MCI patients stay staple and never develop dementia

9.    MCI may increase the risk of Alzheimer’s
MCI may increase an individual’s risk of developing Alzheimer’s or another form of dementia, however, according to recent research it is not yet possible for doctors to determine whether a particular person’s MCI will eventually morph into dementia.

10. MCI can be reversed
Some types of MCI can be reversed, not all cases of MCI signal the onset of a degenerative neurological condition. Cardiovascular disease, infections, even certain medications can also cause MCI. In these instances, cognitive symptoms may be reversible with better medication management or certain lifestyle changes - another reason why experts suggest seeing a doctor at the first sign of cognitive trouble.

No comments: